The 'Other' Football....

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Red Bull New York? No Bull Here.....


By Alan Clark, Saturday, March 18th, 2006.


So, I can't help but feeling I've just been hit in the face.

But in a good way.

Like a penny dropping, a lightbulb illuminating. An epiphany.

Someone gets it.

As much as I have never been a fan of the Metros, never really been a fan of New York [I blame the Yankees and their army of plastic fans, just reminded me of Man Utd at home]. I can't help but love Red Bull New York, and thus the New York Red Bulls.

For as much as the league, and soccer fans in general, owe to Uncle Phil and Lamar, I can't help but feel like we've just found another gear in MLS. Flattering to deceive or is this the real deal? I can only hope and wait. Time, as always will tell.

So, now that I've wiped the drool away from my mouth and I can concentrate on typing, let's just briefly recap the recent events.

It all starts with a rumor, Red Bull, the energy drink supremo, have an interest in a team. An expansion? No, the consensus is they're going to buy someone and hit the ground running.

BANG!

Wow, they bought a team. The NY/NJ Metrostars - one of the leagues most guilty under-achievers, in the largest market to boot. Bold. Brave. But ringing of similarities with Chivas last year, Red Bull owing already another team - Red Bull Salzburg in Austria.

The terms of the deal were sketchy, but as the hours and days passed, it turned out to be a blockbuster. Not only had they bought the Metros, they'd bought into the new Harrison stadium project, and ponied up for the naming rights - Red Bull Arena. Wow, I say again. These folk don't mess around.

The name change, I'm sure, will bother some. Others, mainly outside of the NY/NJ fanbase, will argue that the team needed an image change. I'm not a fan of that myself. Teams can turn around their fortunes. Man Utd languished in relative mediocrity for about 25 years before dominating in the EPL. Teams like Wimbledon ascended from non-league to winning the FA Cup. The pain of the last 10 years will make any future successes that much sweeter.

As it turns out, the name did change. At that point fans could have been alienated....so did Red Bull care? You BET they did.

Announced Thursday, RBNY is offering free transportation, free tickets and an exclusive tailgate party for fans to travel to their inaugural game under the NY Red Bulls moniker. So, did you catch that? Free transportation and free tickets. Way to make a statement Red Bull. Personally, I believe this is one of the most awesome acts in the history of MLS. Don't take it lightly, this wont be a cheap exercise. What a statement, what a signal of intent. I hope the Mets fans (until we knew what to call them) appreciate it, and take it with both hands. Someone clearly forgot to tell Red Bull that MLS is a penny pinching, salary-cap driven tax write-off for most of the owners.

I did wonder? Will fans wear their Metrostars shirts? No replicas will even be on sale for a while, such was the speed at the takeover. No one will even have seen their uniform before they take the field at RFK. Just a side thought, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they gave out freebies there too (round neck t-shirts complete with logos). I'm hoping the shirts they use are akin to their cans...blue and silver quarters, much like Blackburn Rovers of the EPL. I hope they're not like the Austrian team's colors, very basic and, actually, not at all dissimilar to the Metros road kit. Anyways, I digress....

Red Bull's efforts weren't restricted to the fans; Mo and friends were treated to a dressing room overhaul. Out: The sterile 'office' themed space they had used, as second class tenants, for the last 10 years. In: A complete refurb, with flat screens, X-Boxs et al. Way to go Red Bull.

So, it still remains to be seen what the effect on the squad will be. Any shortcomings this year, I think it can be said, will not be the fault of the new ownership. With money, experienced owners, a new stadium breaking ground on August 15th and a decent group of both playing and non-playing staff....it might actually be time for the MetroBulls to earn their self-proclaimed 'Superclub' tag. If they can, it should serve to raise the bar in MLS, to the benefit of all who follow and love The Beautiful Game in this country.

2 Comments:

  • Nice peice.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 PM  

  • Hi read your blog - seeing as you feature manchester united jacket I thought you might like to get the latest Manchester United football news. If you know any United fans then please pass this on. Cheers for now ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home